The Railway Recruitment Board (RRB) conducts the Non-Technical Popular Categories (NTPC) exam. The recruitment is conducted in four different stages:
- Stage 1 Computer Based Test (CBT-1)
- Stage 2 Computer Based Test (CBT-2)
- Typing Skill Test/Computer Based Aptitude Test
- Document Verification/Medical Examination
This exam is conducted for multiple posts including Junior Clerk, Accounts Clerk, Trains Clerk, Senior Clerk, Junior Account Assistant, etc. Every year lakhs of candidates apply for this, making the competition tougher each day.
Thus, to guide candidates in preparing for the upcoming railway exam, discussed further below in this article are the tips to prepare for the RRB NTPC exam. To learn more about the recruitment process, visit the linked article.
Exam Pattern & Syllabus
Before starting off with the preparation, the first step is to carefully analyze and know the exam syllabus and exam pattern in detail. This will help in apprehending which topics and subjects require more practice and hard work and which can act as the candidate’s strong points.
The table given below mentions the CBT 1 and CBT 2 exam pattern in brief:
|CBT 1 Exam Pattern|
|Sections||No. of Questions||Total Marks||Duration|
|General Intelligence and Reasoning||30||30|
|CBT 2 Exam Pattern|
|General Intelligence and Reasoning||35||35|
Tips to Prepare for Each Subject to Crack the RRB NTPC Exam
- Work on understanding the concept and the basics of each topic. Do not try to directly solve the questions as in the final exam, no direct questions are asked. Thus, if the concept is clear, answering questions will also become easy.
- Revise the formulas so as to save time while solving questions in the final examination. Time management is of utmost importance while appearing for competitive exams. Thus, by solving questions using formulas, more time can be managed and more questions can be attempted.
- Try solving questions using shortcut tricks. The best books on quantitative aptitude give some shortcuts which can be used to find the answer by skipping the lengthier methods.
- Important topics under this subject include Profit & Loss, Percentage, Number System, Decimals, Fractions, LCM, HCF, Ratio and Proportion, Time and Work, Time and Distance, Simple and Compound Interest, Mensuration, etc.
1. General Intelligence and Reasoning
- This can be the highest scoring section in the RRB NTPC exam if questions are answered logically. Thus, to excel in this section, candidates need to sharpen their logical and analytical skills
- Refer to shortcut tricks and methods to solve length questions like puzzles and seating arrangement
- Like Mathematics, understanding the basic concept is even important for reasoning topics. This simplifies the concept and makes answering questions, even if asked indirectly.
- Candidates should attempt RRB NTPC mock tests to improve the speed and accuracy of solving questions
2. General Awareness and Current Affairs
- This is the only section that requires no calculations or solutions to reach the answer. Thus, can be most scoring of all the other subjects
- Reading newspaper daily, making proper current affairs notes along with their historical background, reading monthly current affairs magazines and more can be useful to score more in this section
- Candidates must also solve current affairs quiz which are easily available on various online portals and test their preparation
Booklist for RRB NTPC Preparation 2021
Given below is the list of books that can be used by candidates preparing for the upcoming NTPC examination:
|Mathematics||General Intelligence/ Reasoning||General Awareness / Current Affairs|
|● Fast Track Objective Arithmetic
● Objective Arithmetic by RS Aggarwal
● Data Interpretation for CAT by Arun Sharma
|● A modern approach to verbal Reasoning by R.S Agarwal
● Analytical Reasoning by MK Pandey
● A New Approach to Reasoning Verbal and Non-Verbal by BS Sijwali, Indu Sijwali
|● The Hindu & The Indian Express Newspaper
● Pratiyogita Darpan (Monthly Edition)
Candidates who are looking forward to appearing for the upcoming recruitment, can visit the RRB NTPC Notification page and get the desired updates and accordingly start their preparation.